HNW - Linen weaves was Craftmans embroidery

Jacquie Samples jacquie-samples at uiowa.edu
Mon Sep 13 08:32:36 PDT 1999

Hi Kayta,
To view linen evenweaves that many embroiderers use modernly to recreate
early pieces, try going to a store that sells Zwiegert, or Wilchet Imports
fabrics.  I was going to suggest that you thier websites
(http://www.WyndhamNeedleworks.com/index.htm, and http://zweigert.com/),
but on checking, I didn't really see any examples of fabrics.  I have used
both of these companies fabrics (not advertising, just satisfied customer)
and cannot say that I have seen anything burlap like.  I think that maybe
you haven't been looking at high enough counts of threads per inch.

Just last week I got some 45 ct. Linen from a zweigert supplier (through a
class) and am very pleased with it's fineness.  I don't know the cost per
yard as it came with the class kit, but the stores that I frequent are more
than happy to sell parts of yards.  I also know that Nordic Needle
(http://www.nordicneedle.com/) does the same thing, if you don't have a
source near you.

By the way, I have a color card of Zweigert fabrics with swatches on it, if
you'd like, I'll check there for the type you're looking for.  If it's just
that you're looking for a finely woven evenweave linen, then I believe
you'll be able to get what you want.  Just decide what count fabric you
want, and away you go.

If any of this is unclear, sorry. Just let me know and I'll attempt to
clarify.

Jacuqie Samples