HNW - h-needlework V1 #450

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Tue Sep 14 06:56:51 PDT 1999

Dear Kayta:

Good luck finding some of the lovely materials used for needlework earlier
in this century--this is why I feel so sad when I see  orphan linens at
flea markets and antiques bazaars. . I recall my Mom having some pretty
silky floss on stuff she embroidered in the 1930's and 1940's, and all
those lovely runners and tablecloth kits that came in linen, even right
through the 1970's and early 1980's. I was reading Pauline Knight's book on
Filet Lace and she mentioned learning on ready made netting made in Eastern
Europe. She marvelled,still, at how evenly it was knotted. (wistful whimper
over stuff we can't get anymore)

- --Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"