HNW - Craftsman-period embroidery (reply)

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at slip.net
Tue Sep 14 18:43:34 PDT 1999

some late 19th century
>handwoven linen, bought from a deceased estate for a not too extortionate
>price.  So now I have about a metre.  It is glorious stuff.  Almost
>evenweave and very densely woven.

I learned to cross stitch on some scraps and picked apart pieces of old
even weave stuff I inherited from some relative I never knew, by way of a
relative I did know - my aunt gave me the handful of pieces thinking I
might have fun doing something with it.  I taught myself to cross stitch
because it looked like I had the right stuff to do it on.  And the rest, as
they say, is historical.

Glorious stuff, and I wish I could get more.

Kayta
     ////.\\\
     |   -- ))))