HNW - Velvet

Reid, Andrew (MED_GEN) reida at mail.wch.sa.gov.au
Tue Sep 14 17:07:43 PDT 1999

Nancy,
My research in fabrics is somewhat restricted to the 16th century, but I've
seen pictures of surviving velvets which date back to the start of the 16th
c.  I have read that velvets where known in the 15th c., including 'figured'
velvets made with cut pile or burnt in designs, especially in Italy.  Any
earlier than that I'm not sure about as it's a bit outside my area of
interest.  I hope this is of some help at least.

Andrew
(SCA - Bartolomeo Agazzari.  Innilgard, Lochac)