HNW - Velvet

lisaleon@hawaii.edu lisaleon at hawaii.edu
Tue Sep 14 23:57:15 PDT 1999

> 	What is the earliest date that velvet is known?  And where was it
> first made?

	I have some photos of embroidery on velvet that are dated as early
as 1320 and the MoL Textiles and Clothing book says that the earliest
reference to its use in England is 1278 when a velvet covering was
purchased in Paris.  It also mentions that at that time it probably was
mainly woven in Italy and Spain.  I don't know if that's where it was
first made, though.

HTH,
annora

Lisa Leong        *       <|