HNW - crochet

Deborah Pulliam pulliam at acadia.net
Wed Sep 15 05:50:29 PDT 1999

<<something like "Crochet: A Living Mystery". Once the author jumped to
>various conclusions she felt she had "proved" that crochet was ancient,>>

To me, "odd" doesn't begin to describe this book. It's fantasy, so far as
I'm concerned.

I got it on ILL when someone asked me to look at parts of it. What really
made me laugh was the librarian who was checking it out to me (very casual
interest in knitting, etc.; no real interest or knowledge of history). She
said she had looked through it when it first arrived, and admired the
photography. She then asked me if I knew anything about the author, and was
it an accurate book. I said I didn't know, but didn't think so, having
already heard that it was full of assumptions and broad statements. Her
reply: "Well, I really wondered, because she doesn't seem to be able to
tell the difference between crochet and  tatting at all."

Deborah