HNW - reply - tambour vs chain stitch

Donna Kenton kenton at neaccess.net
Thu Sep 16 03:51:29 PDT 1999

You take this little dingus which looks for all the world like the littlest
crochet hook you have ever seen.  Most frequently mounted in a wooden or
plastic handle.  Hooks come in various sizes.

The fabric is (usually) stretched taut on a hoop, with the design drawn on
it.  Used to be called a tambour drum.

You hold the thread under the fabric.  You hold the tambour hook on top.

And then you put the hook through the fabric, pull up the thread, so you've
got a loop.  From there, you're basically working a crocheted chain stitch
all along the design on your fabric.

This is absolutely wonderful for applying serious quantities of beads.  In
that case, you're working the opposite way.  The top would be the
underpart, where the thread with the beads is.  The part you're actually
working, where you can see the chain stitch, is the underside.

Caveat:  This is a chain stitch and must be well secured.  Otherwise, you
could lose the whole thing.

Donna/Rosalind