HNW - knitting needle question

Deborah Pulliam pulliam at acadia.net
Fri Sep 17 05:29:48 PDT 1999

<<Heels were always done on two needles.  >>

A couple of the earliest stocking I've examined have rudimentary heel
shaping that was *not* done on two needles, but all four.

And if you look in most knitting books, you'll find something called the
Auto Heel, or sometimes a Peasant Heel. It is worked entirely with circular
knitting, although I do not know how old the shaping is.

<<There are cushions from the 13th Century which are most likely knitted
flat, although I have not examined them to check.>>

If you are referring to the medieval Spanish cushions with Arabic designs
(dated c 1275), they were definitely knit in the round.

Deborah