HNW - netting gauge

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Thu Sep 30 11:58:05 PDT 1999

Dear Andrew:

A bit back you  mentioned you bought a netting kit and were going to make
your own netting, then darn it to make lacis. I'm thinking of purchasing
such a kit from Hedgehog Handworks and learning to make my own netting.

I have been doing buratto on purchased net that  is 6 mesh (squares)  per
inch. I bought an antique piece of real lacis that is 5 mesh per inch.
Lacis carries an 8  mesh per inch  but it's $36.00 a yard (ulp!)

Out of curiosity, how fine are you getting your mesh? I am currently
working on a piece in simple reprise stitch from Vinciolo (the  Bacchus one
for Autumn) and it's working out pretty large. Large is good for bed
curtains, or pillows, but the c.1600 French table covers I've seen in
museums have  fairly small squares. I now wonder if they were getting a
much finer mesh per inch. Are you managing 7 or 8 per inch?.

Inquiring minds want to know...

- --Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries ...too little time"