HNW - SILK BLACKWORK

Carol Knight carol.knight at chsys.org
Tue Aug 15 09:40:15 PDT 2000

Greetings! I am new to the list, so I hope that I am not in the way...
I have started doing research into Blackwork, in the 16th Century. I am
interested in doing a few things in it, such as Ruffs, Chemises collars,
shirts and so on.
Yes. I am in the SCA.;-)
What I am looking for is Silk Embroidery Thread. I would like to be as
accurate as possible in my 'productions', yet have room for creativity.
What has been your experience with this thread? What works best? What should
I look for in this thread?
Obviously, my experience is almost solely with DMC Thread, who, sadly,
informs me that they do not sell silk thread.
What  Company have you had the best response from? I know I will have to
order my thread. I would like to find a company that has a secured site that
will take orders over the 'net and fill them quickly.
Also, I would like to find that motherlode source for decent linen at a
decent price. The fabric stores here have a nice enough linen at a very
'nice' price-$15 a yard. But it is not really what I am looking for. I would
like some Cambric, if it is findable, at least for the Ruffs.
Thank you!
Lady Roslyn of Hawkhaven
Meridies