HNW - SILK BLACKWORK

Frank Thallas hardcorps at vcn.com
Tue Aug 15 12:18:25 PDT 2000

   Oooooo, you're gonna have some fun now....<G>
Not much advice on brands and where to buy, but a couple of tips on usage -
    Twisted silk will give a more matte finish to your project, but I find
it holds up better in items that will be worn/washed a lot, like shirts,
shifts, and partlets.
    "Flat" (untwisted) silk has much more sheen, but is more fragile and
subject to snagging - use it in pieces that will not see as much handling.
    Prelaunder your linen, and test the silk for colorfastness/shrinkage by
stitching a bit of pattern on a bit of linen, and laundering as you plan to
do on the finished item.  If it runs/shrinks/disappears, you may want to
rethink your materials or the future use of the project.
    I'm currently working with some handspun/handdyed
silk - wonderful stuff, but it needs waxing.  You might want to have beeswax
on hand for this purpose, and check for 'nap' on your thread - it does make
a huge difference.

Hope this helped a bit!
Liadain