HNW - Crochet History

Noramunro@aol.com Noramunro at aol.com
Wed Aug 16 11:54:28 PDT 2000

In a message dated 8/16/00 1:40:06 PM EDT, claning at igc.org writes:

> A simple chain stitch may have been around earlier, if you consider
>  some pieces mentioned by Santina Levey in _Lace: A History_. She
>  cites inventories that mention something that sounds a lot like a
>  chain-stitched cord, which is then sewn down as an ornamental braid

For the record, something apparently like a simple chain was used on the
Gunnister purse, as well.  Quoting from Audrey S. Henshall and Stuart
Maxwell, "Clothing and Other Articles from a Late Seventeenth-Century Grave
at Gunnister, Shetland" (_PSAS_ 1951-52):

"The loops at the top edge occur every 6th stitch, and consist of a single
row of chained loops, such as might be made with a crochet hook.  They are
worked in with the casting-on.  It looks as if 6 stitches were cast on, and
with the same thread a chain of 7 loops made, the last loop being knitted
together with the 6th cast-on stitch; this process is then repeated." (39)
(The bag was knitted in the round and had 86 stitches cast on at the top).

Now, this doesn't mean it was necessarily done that way, just that it looked
to Miss Henshall (who was a pretty good textile historian and knew the
difference between knitting, crochet, and nalebindning) that it was done that
way.  If anyone has anything more recent on the Gunnister purse I'd be glad
to hear about it.

Stephanie/Alianora