HNW - Intro

Frank Thallas hardcorps at vcn.com
Wed Aug 16 23:41:40 PDT 2000

  Greetings and welcome!
  I take it you're starting out with counted, double-running
stitch?  With prior experience in counted work, you'll find this easier than
you think, with a little practice.
    The best tip I teach beginners is to plan the needle journeys before
taking a single stitch - graph the pattern in pencil on graph paper, then,
starting where you'll start stitching, color every other "stitch" with  one
color marker or pencil - these would be the stitches taken on the first
"journey" - and then color the other with a contrast - these would be the
stitches taken on the second or return journey.  This will also help you
work out how to manage the odd bits that stick out from an otherwise easy
pattern,
and help keep track of which stitches to take until you get
the rhythm down with practice.....
  Happy stitching!
 Liadain