HNW - Blackwork Tips

Julia Jones jrjones47 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 17 12:45:38 PDT 2000

Three good tips on blackwork and working with silk:

a seam will hide it later) you run the tail in and around the stitches
(really, wrap the thread around the existing threads) on the side you
consider the back.  The stitches look a little thicker there, but that's
okay.

2.  When starting:  take a DOUBLE length of thread (if you want to work with
24", cut off 48") and start in the middle of the pattern.  Bring your needle
up in the first stitch and pull one-half of the thread through.  You now
have a 24" tail.  Pin the tail neatly to one side.  Stitch as far as you can
with the 24" length your needle is in, tie off the thread.  Go back and
unpin that 24" tail at the beginning, and start stitching in the other
direction.  You have just eliminated two ends!

3.  Especially when working with silk, get some good hand cream, something
to smooth those tiny rough places, and something that is greaseless.  I got
some WONDERFUL stuff at the pharmacy - I had to order it special, but it
works great - TONIGHT I will remember to dig in the drawer where it lurks,
and tomorrow I will post you the name.  (I meant to do this last night, but
now that I've embarrassed myself like this I will surely remember.)

In service to the Dream,          Yours in Email,

Gudrun of Mons Tonitris           Julia Jones
Kingdom of Atenveldt              Sierra Vista, AZ