HNW - Yuan embroidery was Re: Goldwork class

Noramunro@aol.com Noramunro at aol.com
Wed Aug 30 12:57:26 PDT 2000

In a message dated 8/30/00 2:07:42 PM EDT, tasha_medved at yahoo.com writes:

>  I do know that satin stitch was used extensively,
>  along with Pekingese stitch; does anyone know where I could find
>  inforation about what other stitches might have been used in the 13th
>  or 14th centuries (Yuan dynasty)?

Hiya,

I don't know if I mentioned this one to you before or not (brain has turned
to mush) but the best resource I have so far found on Yuan textiles is this:

James C.Y. Wyatt and Anne E. Wardwell, _When Silk Was Gold: Central Asian and
Chinese  Textiles_. New York: Abrams, 1997.  ISBN 0-8109-6513-5.

There are nice detailed colour plates, a whole chapter on luxury silk weaving
under the Mongols,  and another on embroideries, several of which are Yuan
work.  Each piece has a nice technical analysis including what stitches were
used, and there is a visual glossary of the stitches in an appendix.  In
addition to satin and Pekingese, long and short stitch, couching, split
stitch, and detached buttonhole are common.  Yuan embroidery seems to have
been characterised by a particularly extravagant use of gold threads.

Stephanie/Alianora/Narantsetseg