HNW - beaded mosiacs

Betty Herrington ciard at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 31 05:09:22 PDT 2000

Greetings everyone,

I am new to this list and interested in pursuing a new embroidery medium.

Can anyone give me advice on using seed beads on aida cloth or evenweave to
make a full cover beaded mosiac piece?

I would be a complete beginner on this project but I have been doing cross
stitch for several decades.

What size bead for what count of cloth?

How to make stitch to attach beads?

Has anyone done anything like this?  I am thinking of doing a Byzantine
picture of maybe Theodora or Christ. Also I would like to use my charted
Celtic patterns to do a huge Egyptian-type collar to wear over my court
tunics, and detachable cuffs.

Can some cross stitch patterns be used?  I know I cannot do half stitches
with the beads but some of my knotwork patterns would be suitable.

Also I am a complete dolt when it comes to even simple mathematics - social
studies, language, and art are my strong points. Any advice or mathematical
formulas for changing or adapting sizes in patterns would be much
appreciated.

Thanks for any advice.

THLady Ciard O'Seachnasaigh, scholar, poet-laurate, artisan, illuminator,
costumer, embroidress
Ansteorra, Barony of the Steppes (Dallas, TX)