HNW - Looking for Needlework & Garb Fun Near Baltimore

Larsdatter, Karen Karen at stierbach.atlantia.sca.org
Tue May 2 20:04:03 PDT 2000

Anne wrote:

> I'm headed East (Baltimore) for a week long contingency planning
> conference 5/8-5/11.
> I'm leaning at this point towards running into DC on Friday and
> checking out the Viking Exhibit at the Smithsonian, and
> possibly the Textile Museum, which I believe is also fairly close.
> Any suggestions?

Baltimore and DC aren't exactly next to each other but if you have
a rental car or something DC isn't that far of a drive.  (I think there
are pretty good trains between the two as well.)

Baltimore is home to the Walters Art Gallery
(http://www.thewalters.org) which has collections of medieval art,
renassance & baroque art, Islamic art, Asian art, and the collection
of manuscripts and rare books.

You might also want to check out the Baltimore Museum of Art
has an exhibit on 19th and 20th century Chantilly laces (in case
you're interested in that sort of thing) -- you can find more
information at http://www.artbma.org

There's a lot of neat stuff going on in DC while you'll be here as
well, besides the Vikings and Textile Museum exhibits ... here's a
couple just to pique your interest :)

The Folger Shakespeare Library (http://www.folger.edu) is having
an exhibit on the concept of Fortune in the Middle Ages &
Renaissance -- http://www.folger.edu/public/exhibit/CURRENT.htm

The Corcoran (http://www.corcoran.org) has an exhibit on
Treasures from the Topkapi -- which does, as I understand, include
some other period Turkish textiles --
http://www.corcoran.org/museum/featured_shows.htm

You can find information on area museums with exhibits of
potential interest to the SCA folks at
http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/museums.htm

The weekend following your stay in Baltimore, there'll be an SCA
event in Fredericksburg, VA -- I can send you more information if
you'd like -- there'll be a variety of classes, even one on embroidery
(I'm teaching that one actually)  and Alianora's teaching a class on
medieval tokens & favours :)

Beyond the SCA there's interesting stuff coming up during your
stay in the area too ...

The weekend before your stay in the area, the Smithsonian will be
having a workshop on Viking arms & armor, on the first floor of the
Natural History Museum from 10:30 AM to 5:00 PM.  This weekend
will also be the Flower Mart Festival at the Washington Cathedral --
a neat opportunity to take a peek inside the stonecarver's
workshop :)

May 12, there will be a concert of Spanish Renaissance music at
the University of Maryland in College Park, as well as a lecture on
Vikings in popular culture at Baird Auditorium at the National
Museum of Natural History.  The weekend after your stay in the
area there will be a workshop on nålbinding at Natural History too.

For information on this and more stuff (and trust me there is LOTS
more stuff) ;) see http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/concerts.htm

I'd better get back to work on my Hurry-Up Embroidery Project!!
AIEE!  Bedtime draws near ... :)

Karen