HNW - Looking for Needlework & Garb Fun Near Baltimore

Noramunro@aol.com Noramunro at aol.com
Wed May 3 04:20:26 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/3/100 3:13:15 AM GMT, Karen at stierbach.atlantia.sca.org
writes:

> Baltimore and DC aren't exactly next to each other but if you have
>  a rental car or something DC isn't that far of a drive.  (I think there
>  are pretty good trains between the two as well.)

There are two good ways to get safely and happily from Bawlamer to The
District:

Version 1:  Go to Penn Station in Baltimore.  Get a round-tripper on the MARC
train to Union Station in Washington.  Rattle on into Union Station (you
won't be looking at the very prettiest parts of my home state, but you can
laugh at the people stuck on the Washington and Baltimore beltways, which is
a consolation).  At Union Station you can transfer to the Metro red line, and
go where ever your heart desires.  This only works on weekdays; the MARC is
commuter rail and doesn't run on weekends (stupid) but for a little more
money, you could do the same thing using Amtrak. IIRC correctly, the Textile
Museum is nearest the Dupont Circle stop, which is on the red line.

Version 2:  Take the MARC or Amtrak, or drive to New Carrollton Station,
which is just off Rt 50 west (there is a large parking garage there).  Hop on
the Metro orange line, and ride straight into the city.  The Smithsonian stop
on the orange line lets off right in the Mall near the Natural History
Museum.  Also near that stop are the Freer and Sackler Galleries (Asian Art)
which are nifty, too.

There are various transfer stations to get from one colour line to another.
The one for transferring from the red, orange, and blue lines is Metro
Center.  Watch the signs there; I almost invariably dash up the stairs to the
wrong platform and wind up headed in the opposite direction of where I
intended to go.

A s for Baltimore-specific attractions, the Walters' is _definitely_ a place
to go.  Right now they have an exhibit from Ukraine on Scythian stuff called
"Gold of the Nomads" which I haven't gotten to yet but really want to.  They
also have one of the finest medieval collections this side of the Cloisters.
The Baltimore Museum of Art is definitely more modern stuff, but they do have
a nice 18th- and 19th-c decorative arts collection.  Other not-needlework
stuff includes shopping in the Inner Harbor and the National Aquariaum (which
has a new Rain Forest River exhibit).

I'd offer to play tourguide one day (I live in Annapolis) but as Karen said,
I'm teaching an embroidery class at an event in Fredericksburg, VA, that
weekend.  ;-)

Stephanie/Alianora