HNW - Swedish "weaving" on Huck fabric...

lilinah@earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon May 8 16:08:24 PDT 2000

Back when i was a young sprout, in the 1960's, we did "Swedish
weaving" on huck toweling in our Home Ec. classes in junior high.

It recently dawned on me that this technique, nowadays also called
"Huck weaving", would be good for garb trim, regardless of historic
authenticity. With the right fabric, one could do it right on the
garb; in other cases, one can do it on a strip of appropriate fabric
and sew it on. In any case, one will avoid that "store-bought trim"
look.

On the off chance that it might be within "SCA period", i consulted
with a woman i know who is quite knowledgeable about Scandinavian
textiles about whether or not this technique existed "in period". She
said, yes, it did; it was rather late; and done in relatively simple
designs in Scandinavia (or at least Northern Europe).

As Scandinavian textiles are not my area of expertise, i wonder if
anyone has any idea of books or resources where i can see these
patterns - i'll be asking her myself when next i see her, but that
won't be for a few weeks, and i'm eager to get started since i have
to create a whole new wardrobe for myself as all my garb and all my
inkle weaving (some of which was trim on garb), and all my Medieval
Egyptian knitting but one, and some natural dyeing was stolen right
before West Kingdom Beltane (not by anyone in the SCA - and the creep
who took it probably dumped it in the trash after he opened the bags
and saw it wasn't exactly "normal")

Any ideas for where i can see some historical "Swedish weaving"?

Thanks,
Anahita al-shazhiyya