HNW - waxing

Lynn Downward ldownward at chori.org
Tue May 9 18:04:37 PDT 2000

>I always wax my threads when I do blackwork, it keeps it from fraying, and
>pulls through the fabric a lot easier, you dont get the frayed bits on the
>sides, and the wax washes out. I think it makes the piece easier to work
>with, and might even make the piece last longer, since it doesnt get as much
>wear when it is being worked.
>Beth

When I do millinery work I wax the thread with beeswax and then iron it
between two pieces of brown paper bag on low heat so the wax goes INTO the
thread.  I've never had a problem with it yet.  I've done this with
blackwork too, but I use regular buttonhole thread (yes, I know, but it
works for what I need - silk thread would be a waste of time, effort and
money).

LynnD