HNW - Elizabethan Embroidery...

Frank A Thallas Jr hardcorps at vcn.com
Wed May 10 14:37:09 PDT 2000

  Greetings!
    A great place to start for an overall view would be Drea's Elizabethan Costuming page -
http://www.dnaco.net/~aleed/corsets/general.html
    Lots of good info there, other links, etc.
        Just in general - fabrics would be wools, linens, silks, depending on status and what
you could afford....
    Embroidery - blackwork in full flower on body linens, household linens, etc; cutwork in
its early stages; various sorts of canvas work (a lot of tent-stitched "carpets" and other
items), some crewelwork and the like, so you have a wide variety to choose from there.
A few books with cool pictures -
  "Tudor and Stuart Fabrics" by Cyril G.E. Bunt (Dolphin Press, London, 1961)
    "Elizabethan Embroidery" by George Wingfield Digby (Faber & Faber, London, 1963)
    "English Domestic Embroidery" by Therle Hughes (Abbey Fine Arts, London)
    "The Victoria and Albert Museum's Textile Collection - Embroidery in Britain 1200-
1750" by Donald King and Santina Levy (Canopy books, NY, 1993)

    I'm sure others on the list have other favorites as well...

Liadain

  Hello the list...
  Oh ladies and gents of the list, I most himbly request help in finding sources of Elizabethan embroidery and designs....I am getting involved in a somewhere in time group here in washington state and although I can make bodices to my hearts contentment, I really know notheing about  what stitches they used,nor what kinds of fabrics they made their Garb from and for what seasons the fabrics were used and as well as social status their clothes showed what class they were from...Help!!!