HNW - Elizabethan Embroidery...

Noramunro@aol.com Noramunro at aol.com
Thu May 11 07:15:01 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/10/100 8:18:52 PM GMT, drgndncr at uswest.net writes:

> Oh ladies and gents of the list, I most himbly request help in finding
> sources of Elizabethan embroidery and designs....

Elizabethans often derived their needlework designs from emblem books; an
online resource for these is the Pennsylvania State University Emblem Book
Project at:

http://emblem.libraries.psu.edu/home.htm

Jane Ashelford has a chapter in _Dress in the Age of Elizabeth I_ (excellent
book) which discusses Elizabethan embroidery and the use of emblem book
designs in needlework.  She also has some bibliography on secondary works on
emblem books.

If you can find a non-bootlegged copy, _The New Carolingian Modelbook_ is a
fantastic resource for sixteenth century counted-thread work.  Many many
patterns, and some discussion of how to use them in the appendices.

Stephanie/Alianora