HNW - Re: Needlework Books

Diane S. Sawyer tasha_medved at yahoo.com
Mon May 29 19:14:14 PDT 2000

--- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> Diane/Tasha wrote:
> >I agree, it's got lots and lots of info, but for variety and
> >ease of use, it pales in comparison to _Mary Thomas' Dictionary of
> >Embroidery Stitches_.  Thomas' has much MUCH better diagrams.
> After
> >I bought it, I carried it around with me for weeks, just looking
> at
> >the pretty pictures!
>
> Then you must have purchased the recent large format edition with
> the
> color photos.

Yup.  Love it.

> I bought both my Mary Thomas embroidery books in the late 60's or
> early 70's and they are copies of the originals from the '30's and
> 40's, and thus include only black line drawings and a few very
> grainy
> black-and-white photos, not all that pretty, but certainly useful.

Huh.  Definitely take a look at the newer one; the examples are color
coded so you know which stitch is which.

> The DMC book by Therese de Dillmont is useful because it contains
> more than just embroidery stitches - it has knitting, crochet,
> macrame, garment sewing, all sorts of stuff. It's an encyclopedia
> of
> textile arts.
>
> Anahita al-shazhiyya

I totally agree.  When I bought it, I was inspired by the wealth of
knowledge, and I love the section on goldwork.  Ceretainly if you can
afford it, I'd recommend getting both.

Tasha