HNW - Temari Balls

Jennifer Crimmins elbereth5778 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 21 23:03:09 PST 2000

Greetings all,

I know this is slightly off topic but I am in the process of making temari
balls as Christmas presents and I'm running into some problems.  I have read
two different methods of construction, one using either stuffing or old
fabric as a filler then covering it with thread, or using a styrofoam ball
as a base and then covering it with yarn and then thread.  I would prefer to
use the former of the two methods because it is more historically accurate
(although I don't have any old kimonos around to use) but I am running into
problems with it not being a perfect sphere and it's throwing my design off.
  Has anyone else on the list made them?  If so, which method do you use to
make the balls?  I'll go the styrofoam ball route if I must, but I would
prefer not to.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Jenn :)