[HNW] Montenegrin, Long-armed cross stitch direction

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at frys.com
Tue Dec 11 14:22:41 PST 2001

>I'm having trouble deciding which
>direction the first leg of the Montenegrin and LAX
>should go. Match with the simple-X, follow the leaf
>veins in the pattern, or let it be haphazard? What's
>"correct" for the period (again, 16th cent. Italy)?
>Anyone have any strong personal opinions? Experience
>with this combo of stiches? I'm interested in any and
>all input!

As far as I know, the necessity of crossing cross-stitches all the same way
is a Victorian concept.  Most folk cross-stitch goes for neat rather than
for compulsive.  Beginners often cross their stitches haphazardly because
they're still figuring things out.  But old women who have done lots of it
seem to cross all the stitches in each area the same way because the rhythm
of doing it that way is easier.

If you can get the stitches to cross like the veins in the leaves, I think
you'll be much happier with your own cleverness, so I recommend doing it
that way.

Most of my ethnic embroidery books are still packed, but I will ask my
friend the ex-Montenegrin, what he thinks.

Kayta
   //// \\\