[HNW] Montenegrin, Long-armed cross stitch direction

Sarah Randles s-randles at adfa.edu.au
Tue Dec 11 15:58:43 PST 2001

Agatha said:

 I'm having trouble deciding which
>direction the first leg of the Montenegrin and LAX
>should go. Match with the simple-X, follow the leaf
>veins in the pattern, or let it be haphazard? What's
>"correct" for the period (again, 16th cent. Italy)?
>Anyone have any strong personal opinions? Experience
>with this combo of stiches? I'm interested in any and
>all input!

Most of the long-armed cross stitch, Italian cross-stitch and montenegrin
stitch works that I have seen from the sixteenth century work one line in
one direction and the next line in the opposite direction.  That creates a
nice textured effect.  I haven't seen anything where there is an attempt to
follow the contours of the design, such as the leaf veins, as you suggest.

Sarah

Sarah Randles                                    email: s.randles at adfa.edu.au
School of English                              phone: 02 6268 8842
University College ADFA                 fax:   02 6268 8899
Canberra ACT 2601
AUSTRALIA

Note: on Mondays and Tuesdays I work at the Australian National Dictionary
Centre - phone: (02) 6249 0476.