[HNW] Elizabethan Embroidery books

Lisa Tyson Lisa_Tyson at umit.maine.edu
Fri Dec 28 12:40:27 PST 2001

Hello to the List,

I've been considering getting some new embroidery books
and was wondering if anyone here could comment on them.

Exploring Elizabethan Embroidery
by Dorothy Clarke

Elizabethan Needlework Accessories
by Sheila Marshall

Festive Elizabethan Creations
Shirley Holdaway

I'm far more interested in the third book if I can only buy one right away.
Comments?  I'm planning to use them as an idea jump point to help
me learn more about Elizabethan embroidery. I realize the third book
probably won't be 'authentic', the second would be a good overview of
how to use embroidery toys and tools and the first, well, it may have
some historic embroidery techniques of interest.  I want to just work
on small projects so the third book is more attractive to me right now.

Thanks.  This is for use in the SCA.

Lisa Tyson