[HNW] New Book

Dorothy & Lou dotlou at ix.netcom.com
Fri Dec 28 13:32:57 PST 2001

I just got this in the mail Saturday. The size of the book is smaller
than I expected. More like 5X8 than 8X11. The photography is excellence
and text accompanies each item.(Only 2 pictures needed improvement). One
piece I liked is the crewel slip work done in red, at first I thought it
was redwork(#21) Included are examples of unfinished projects where you
can see how the design was drawn on or the technique worked. All five
sides of a casket are photographed flat-good for overview but here
individual bigger pictures would be a plus. There is a needle painting
panel from 1779 lent by the queen! An Irish Chancellor's purse (dated
1847/1853/1859) -awesome goldwork. A child's stamped kit 1902 for
cornation King Edward VII is an interesting change of pace. There is a
POW  piece done by an Englishwomen interned during WWII ising material
cut from shorts and smuggled threads. And modern pieces as well. A
description is given for those pieces not photographed but exhibit. The
apprentices at the Royal School did a modern day symbolic alphabet that
I will not spoil by describing but I loved the idea and how it done.
Just wish I could go to the exhibit in person.  Dorothy