[HNW] embroidery machines

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at frys.com
Sun Dec 30 16:46:19 PST 2001

I only do counted thread embroidery, never freehand.  Since I am willing to
use commercial eyelet for historical petticoats, it occurred to me that I
might get one of those high-tech embroidering sewing machines to copy a
real historical pattern for me, like something out of a Godey's.  (A friend
of mine thinks that the first embroidery machines were invented in the 1830's.)

Two different friends of mine have these 'girl-geek' machines, but neither
one knows how to produce custom embroidery with them.  How does one get
ones own design into such a machine?  Scanning?  Doing the original design
using the right drawing program?  How does one get the machine to embroider
it just like you designed it?  How does the machine know the difference
between a filled-in shape and an outlined shape?  How does one get the
machine to do several repeats of a design, next to each other in a row?

Kayta
   //// \\\