[HNW] New Book

isotoper isotoper at msn.com
Sun Dec 30 18:09:41 PST 2001

I purchased this book just today.  I also purchased "This Have I Done
Samplers and Embroidereries from Charleston and the Lowcountry" from the
Charleston Museum in South Carolina.  There was a sampler exhibit on the
rare Charleston and Lowcountry samplers/other works and it will continue
until Jan 13th.  I didn't know this, but there are so few samplers that
survived in Charleston and much of South Carolina due to the Revolutionary
and Civil Wars.  What was interesting was the subtle differences in samplers
from the north, such as sheep with long tails and tall thin trees.  I was
able to view the oldest known Charleston sampler.  How humbling.  The above
mentioned book has incredible pictures of all samplers/other works and in
depth detail and family history where available.  For those interested, on
June 22-23 2002 the museum will be hosting a stiching weekend where
attendees will be the first to stitch its latest release of reproduction
samplers. These will be a 1750 and 1764 sampler.  A lecture and technique
demonstration will be performed by sampler historian Kathleen Staples.  It's
costly, but I'll be there!

Cindi
Charleston, SC