[HNW] "The Needlework of Mary Queen of Scots"

Rosemary Stecher stecher3 at home.com
Sun Dec 30 19:06:59 PST 2001

amreid at qbe.com.au wrote:

> Mary,
> Thanks for clearing that up.  It sounds like Kathryn's is based probably on the
> same material but the book I have is a reprint of the original without any
> re-charting.  I'm pretty sure Bassee's book dates at 1597, so it sounds like the
> same material.
>
> Andrew
> Sydney, Australia
> (SCA - Bartolomeo Agazzari)

Kathryn Newell's book and Bassee are two totally different books. Here
are the citations and descriptions of both.

--Mathilde

Bassée, Nicolas. German Renaissance Patterns for Embroidery: A Facsimile
Copy of Nicolas Bassée's New Modelbuch of 1568, with an introduction by
Kathleen Epstein. Austin: Curious Works Press. ISBN 0-9633331-4-3.

German Renaissance patterns for Embroidery presents exact-size
facsimiles of the existing one hundred plates, title page and colophon
of the 1568 edition of Nicolas Bassee's New Modelbuch now housed in the
rare book collections of the Newberry Library in Chicago, Illinois. The
plates feature charted designs for counted cross-stitch and other
counted thread embroidery
techniques, angular patterns for double running stitch, various forms
for surface embroidery, and geometric bands for satin stitch.  The
illustrated introduction provides information on Bassee and his work,
with historical background on the development of the embroidery pattern
book, as well as an analysis of the plates. (description from the
Curious Works Press website)

Newall, Kathryn. Needlework Patterns from Renaissance Germany: Designs
recharted by Kathryn Newall from Johan Sibmacher's Schön Neues
Modelbuch, 1597. Boulder, CO: Costume & Dressmaker Press, 1999.

The original includes 74 patterns for counted work and 31 patterns for
cutwork. These designs are unique, although they are similar to the ones
in the 1604 publication Newes Modelbuch in Kupffer ..., reprinted by
Dover as Baroque Charted Designs for Needlework. All 74 of the
counted-work patterns have been recharted for ease of use and published
as 26 plates in this book. Two unusual types of designs are included,
some intended to be worked on a diagonal and some around the slit of a
neck opening, which would be suitable for a shirt or chemise. The
remaining borders include a number of heraldic animals, such as a
griffin, a lion, an eagle, etc.