[HNW] Elizabethan Embroidery books

Megan McConnell madilayn at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 30 21:35:32 PST 2001

Hi Lisa

These are all good books (I own all 3 of them and love
them) - but for technique mostly, rather than
historical accuracy.

The style of the designs is more Jacobean in look, but
the actual motifs are very Elizabethan.

They are good books though to have in your library and
Prue Georgeson (who is on the list) has done some of
the clearest and most useful stitch diagrams and
instructions I have ever come accross (in fact it was
from her instructions that I finally managed to master
Plaited Braid Stitch).

I would certainly get them - touse as inspirations and
to get a feel for crewel work - but would not use them
as historical sources.

Megan
--- Lisa Tyson <Lisa_Tyson at umit.maine.edu> wrote:
> Hello to the List,
>
> I've been considering getting some new embroidery
> books
> and was wondering if anyone here could comment on
> them.
>
> Exploring Elizabethan Embroidery
> by Dorothy Clarke
>
> Elizabethan Needlework Accessories
> by Sheila Marshall
>
> Festive Elizabethan Creations
> Shirley Holdaway
>

> I'm far more interested in the third book if I can
> only buy one right away.
> Comments?  I'm planning to use them as an idea jump
> point to help
> me learn more about Elizabethan embroidery. I
> realize the third book
> probably won't be 'authentic', the second would be a
> good overview of
> how to use embroidery toys and tools and the first,
> well, it may have
> some historic embroidery techniques of interest.  I
> want to just work
> on small projects so the third book is more
> attractive to me right now.
>
> Thanks.  This is for use in the SCA.
>

> Lisa Tyson

=====
Megan McConnell
ICQ:  57164109

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's  so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."    -G. Stoddart