HNW - Mexican crewelwork cleaning question

RowanA@aol.com RowanA at aol.com
Mon Jan 1 14:08:13 PST 2001

Hello, all --
This is not really a question about ancient needlework, but about newer
needlework from Mexico -- hope someone might be able to help me.  At a flea
market here in Southern California recently, I bought a framed piece of
Mexican crewelwork for a couple of dollars.  I took it out of the cheap frame
immediately -- someone had glued it onto a piece of cardboard, and it was
being held into a plywood frame with some metal nails, which had made rust
marks on the edges of the material.  The material itself appears to be some
kind of natural-colored linen.  The yarn colors are very bright: pinks,
purples, yellows, turquoise and greens, along with black.  The piece is
somewhat dirty from exposure in a glassless frame (who knows how long it was
on display at outdoor flea markets in the polluted air of L.A.?) and of
course there are those rust marks on the edges, not to mention the cardboard
that has still stuck to it on the edges of the back side.  I'd like to wash
it, but I'm afraid the bright yarn colors will run.  Any advice on what I
should try?  One local crafts store recommended Woolite, but since I never
use that on my OWN needlework I wouldn't want to try it here (although --
this does appear to be wool yarn...).  I do have Orvus -- do you think a wash
in cold water and Orvus would make it run?  And is there any way to get rid
of rust stains and glue/cardboard residue?  I think that, cleaned up and in a
good frame and mat, this piece would be very pretty!
Thanks!  :-) Rowana