HNW - re wall hangings

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Tue Jan 2 06:51:35 PST 2001

Dear Carllein (and List):

<...  showing 14th. c., or earlier, interiors.  I thought I had seen
illuminations with patterned backgrounds (hangings?curtains?) but cannot
lay my hands on an example.>

Sometimes these were painted canvas wallcloths. I saw one at the Museum of
London, c.13th century. It re minded me of sized theatre flats. The canvas
was probably highly sized, then painted, and possibly varnished after that.
(Cennini mentions this kind of thing). Painting the walls and/or curtains
is so much cheaper than commissioning needlework!

--Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time: