HNW - historic needlework for dolls? (was Re: Dolls and no daughters)

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at slip.net
Thu Jan 4 10:46:10 PST 2001

><<A friend of mine who only had one child (a boy) has just discovered dolls
>for herself (she never played with them as a kid). >>
>
>Ohhh...I did!  I had two barbies and a Ken..and I designed and sewed clothes
>for them...bags full!  Then..when I got to high school..they came in pretty
>handy for "history projects"....I garbed Ken as a crusador once (with
>matching siege tower) and Barbie was a wonderful "Juliet" for English Lit!
>Now...I garb my family instead!  8)

Do you do historical needlework for your dolls?  My friend does.  And this
year for Xmas she got me a doll from the same company, so now we both have
started to sew, knit, quilt, etc. for these dolls' historical periods.
Sure it takes time away from costuming/needleworking big, but at least it
doesn't take as much time.

My friend's doll is 1820's, Hispanic/American Southwest, and she started by
tatting little trim for the doll's little underwear.  Her
doll-company-employee friend knitted the doll a little shawl from a Godey's
Lady's Book.  That friend does French/Indian Wars period, so she is doing
teensy beadwork and quill work for her two dolls.  My doll is 1770's, and I
am planning a hand-quilted petticoat for her.  But since much of the
historical needlework we like best is later than our dolls' original
periods, the dolls are learning to cope with time travel.

Kayta
     ////.\\\
     |   -- ))))