HNW - Threads and such

Jennifer Crimmins elbereth5778 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 5 00:10:01 PST 2001

Greetings all,
     I am just starting out with medieval embroidery (12th century) and I
have some questions on materials and designs.  Firstly, does anyone have any
sources for embroidered trim for 12th century Ireland or there abouts?  The
few books that are available on Irish costume just say that the garments
were heavily embroidered, but no designs or desciptions of the embroidery
are given.  I know it's pretty much impossible to document, but any
hints/ideas/theories beside the ubiquitous knotwork would be appreciated.
Secondly, I've decided that I am going to use wool to stitch with for now
and was wondering if anyone has a favorite brand/type they use.  I've found
two on-line suppliers (I know there must be tons more out there) - Thread
Needle Street and Herrscheners.  Has anyone ordered from them?  Thread
Needle Street has a wonderful sounding thread called Brodier Wul that I am
leaning towards because of the natural dyes and they are not that much more
expensive than the DMC Medici.  Any help/advice you can give would be much
appreciated.  Thanks muchly...

Jenn :)
Dar-Carthaind
Barony of Bhakail, East Kingdom