HNW - quotations from literature and poetry

Karen karen_larsdatter at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 6 09:07:44 PST 2001

Nancy/Ingvild wrote:

> I am looking for quotations from literature and poetry about
> needlework, embroidery, knitting, etc.  I would be most appreciative
> of any hints or clues about where I might find some.  Thank you so
> much.

There's a version of Bartlett's Familiar Quotations online at
http://www.bartleby.com but I don't know if it's the full Bartlett's
...  Bartleby.com also has Simpson's Quotations, and apparently you can
search both by just selecting "Quotations" on that pull-down menu. :)

Here's something purdy:

  The spinsters and the knitters in the sun
  And the free maids that weave their thread with bones
  Do use to chant it: it is silly sooth,
  And dallies with the innocence of love,
  Like the old age.

That second line's about bobbin-lace, right?  I've heard it referred to
as "bone lace," as at some points, the bobbins were made out of carved
bone.  (It's a bit from "Twelfth Night," act two, scene four; Duke
Orsino is telling Viola/Cesario about a rather melancholy song that a
clown had sung the night before.)

Karen/Karen