HNW - quotations from literature and poetry

Robert Romberger jestar at webworldinc.com
Sat Jan 6 11:35:55 PST 2001

Karen wrote:

>   And the free maids that weave their thread with bones
>
> That second line's about bobbin-lace, right?  I've heard it referred to
> as "bone lace," as at some points, the bobbins were made out of carved
> bone.

    I've a number of lace books that refer to that line as well (A Dictionary of
Lace by Pat Earnshaw for instance), and it does seem to point to bobbin lace.
FWIW, not only were the bobbins sometimes made from carved bones, but the pins
were as well.  Typically, they used chicken bones.  They used bones because of
the high cost of metal pins.

--
J*