HNW - Tatting suggestions

RowanA@aol.com RowanA at aol.com
Tue Jan 9 12:03:40 PST 2001

betsyp at roguewave.com writes:

<< The Lacis page says that needle tatting is actually easier, requires less
 coordination, and handles a wider range of thread sizes than shuttle
 tatting.  Is anybody on this list a tatter?  Do you agree with this comment?
 Is there a book I could read to compare and contrast the two methods?  Being
 a materials groupie, I am very taken by the pretty little abalone, brass,
 wood, &c tatting shuttles, but I retain just enough self-restraint to avoid
 shuttle tatting if it's harder to learn and produces no different results. >>

Hi, Betsy --
I've taken a couple of needle tatting classes, and from what I understand,
needle tatting pre-dates shuttle tatting.  But because the shuttles were so
decorative, so pretty and much costlier than needles, shuttle tatting became
a pursuit mainly of the upper and monied classes, while needle tatting was
sort of looked down upon as a lower-class activity.  However, according to my
teachers, needle tatting IS easier, and a needle tatter can do anything a
shuttle tatter can do, plus more.  I'm sure others here can place all this in
historical context (I'm thinking Victorian era?).  Some have told me that the
end products of shuttle and needle tatting are somehow structurally
different, but I'm not sure, being a rank beginner and having done only two
needle-tatting projects.  Experienced tatters, please enlighten us!