HNW - Re: h-needlework V1 #773

Liz / Cozit cozit at home.com
Fri Jan 12 10:17:07 PST 2001

It's been 4 years since I came back from Portland, but there's Acorns and
Threads just outside of Portland... good needlework store, somewhat limited
variety, but only because the owner only wants to sell what she knows, so she
can be of assistance to her customers (she's willing to custom order other
things, though).  I *think* there's still a really nice needlepoint shop in
Tigard near Washington Square (hope I have those two names right still)... some
really nice canvases, and a variety of fibers to work them with.

Also, semi needlework related, but down in Salem is a woolen mill that has a
number of machines that they will demonstrate.  Very interesting if you haven't
seen an old textile mill before.... the mill was in operation pretty much until
Polyester helped put it out of business.  If I remember right, and it's still
there, in the shops there is a very nice yarn and fiber shop... I bought yarn,
some rovings and a handspindle there at various times.

There are a couple of yarn/spinning/weaving shops in the stretch from Eugene to
Portland, but I don't remember where they are... or the better names (one of
them comes out to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival every year, but I'm a bit
'name-challenged')

If you go out to the coast (it's only a bit over an hour from the
Eugene-Portland 'corridor') in Tillamook there's a nice *little* quilt/textiles
museum and studio (or I know it survived the flood when I was there, so I'd
think it'd still be there).  The cheese factory in that town is a decent place
to eat, and interesting to check out... there's a little wine and gourmet shop
nearby that has better food and wine tasting if you want to spend a little more.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head... hope you get this (only got
the digest this morning)

-Elisabeth