HNW - Upcoming Knit/Crochet History Exhibit in Philadelphia

Kim Salazar kbsalazar at mediaone.net
Fri Jan 19 08:01:47 PST 2001

HNWers,

Apologies if you see this post in more than one forum.  The original author
has given me permission to re-post it here and to the Knit History mailing
list.  She quotes from the exhibit's flyer:

<snip>

 >"The Hook and The Book"  The emergence of crochet and knitting in the
 >American Popular Culture 1840-1876.
 >
 >"...will be on view from January 22 to September 28, 2001.  This exhibition
 >will display a variety of materials including books, pamphlets, broadsides,
 >trade cards, and photographs.  Authentic knitted and crocheted items
 >borrowed from Philadelphia-area institutions and period reproductions will
 >also be included.  This exhibition will examine the emergence of crochet
 >and knitting into American popular culture throught the third quarter of the
 >nineteenth century, by which time these crafts had established themselves
 >as icons of Victorian female industry."  The curator is Nicole H. Scalessa,
 >assisted by Karen Ross and Judith Lasch.
 >
 >The exhibit will be at The Library Company of Philadelphia, 1314 Locust
 >Street, Philadelphia, PA  19107.
 >
 >For those who will not be able to come to Philadelphia, there is a website:
 >http://www.librarycompany.org but I don't know how much of the
 >exhibit material will be reflected there.

<snip>

I don't know if I'll be able to finagle a trip down that way, but if you
are in the area, it definitely looks worth peeking into.

Kim Salazar, Yarn Review Shepherd
kbsalazar at mediaone.net
http://people.ne.mediaone.net/kbsalazar