HNW - Re: English smocking

Chris Laning claning at igc.org
Sat Jan 20 11:05:31 PST 2001

Not exactly historical, but I highly recommend a book I just happened
to pick up in a tacky crafts store: _The Art of Manipulating Fabric_
by Colette Wolf (1996, Krause Publications, ISBN 0-8019-8496-3). It
shows more varieties of gathers, pleats, smocking, et cetera than you
ever *dreamed* existed, along with detailed instructions and tips.

One technique that's particularly intriguing may actually have a
pre-1600 historical basis. (One of the perpetual SCA needlework
debates is "Is smocking period?" i.e. before 1600.) The book calls it
"Italian Smocking" and defines it as "fabric drawn up into close
pleats on rows of gauged stitching with deviations that create
patterned irregularities." In its simplest form, this basically means
lines of gathering stitches on a "dot grid" as is often used for
American smocking, except that you *skip* certain dots in a pattern,
creating a raised area in the pleating.

It's impossible to say without being able to examine the historical
garments closely, but this produces results that *look* a whole lot
like the densely gathered (yet somehow patterned) side gussets of
several medieval liturgical garments (linen albs). These gussets are
set into side seams below waist level, and seem to be very full, yet
are gathered into a very small space which has a raised geometric
pattern to it. At least one of these albs is said to have belonged to
St. Thomas a Becket, and another to St. Hugo (founder of the
Carthusians) so the technique, whatever it is, dates back to the
1100s. These albs are definitely on the list of "museum objects we've
GOT to see up close" that my SCA Laurel and I are compiling for an
eventual Europe trip!

Regards,