HNW - questions from a sewing box

Helen A Honeycutt merch_a_mor at juno.com
Sun Mar 4 03:49:37 PST 2001

While I won't swear to it, I think you have the remains, not of a ladys'
sewing kit, but of a sailors!  All of the things you describe were
typically found in a signal and sailmakers shop, and used to make/repair
canvas sails, and even more importantly, signal flags.  Mending cotton
and wool are threads that are designed for darning socks or stockings,
like to like.
Helen Honeycutt
Mad alchemist and textile fanatic at large