HNW - questions from a sewing box

Magdalena magdlena at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 4 06:39:08 PST 2001

Deborah Pulliam wrote:

> First of all, virtually all needles used in the US in the 19 and well into
> the 20c were made in England, so it's not unusual they ended up in Texas.

I didn't know that.  Learn something new every day.  ;>  Actually, though, my
reasoning is based on the U.K. based labels on a wide variety of things from
embroidery threads to hooks & eyes to twill tape.  While it is possible that all
of her needles would have been made in the UK and that she would prefer imported
sewing & embroidery thread, if my hypothetical lady had bought hooks & eyes here
the brand would be Dritz or one of the others.  They certainly wouldn't mention
the Queen Mother.  ;>

> This sounds like a lacing needle.

A lacing needle?  As in lacing up a garment?

> Needles with chiseled tips and "sides" (often a triangular tip) are usually
> leather needles - for cleanly cutting a hole, instead of punching through.

These aren't sharp enough.  Leather needles I have in plenty for comparison.

> They're also used for canvas work.

As in needlepoint on canvas, or as in making things from canvas?

> Glace thread is used for leather work.

Thanks!   I wonder if it would work for gloves?

> I have a feeling you've got a box of oddments from a shoe repair shop or
> saddlery, not a lady's sewing kit.

No, really, it's a ladies sewing kit.  I'm afraid I only described the things I
didn't recognize.  It had embroidery thread, millinary wire, twill tape, hooks
and eyes, lots of other needles, etc etc.  From the contents of her sewing kit,
it sounds like she did all sorts of interesting needlework.

Many, many thanks!
-Magdalena