HNW - 16th-century quote: clarification needed

Noramunro@aol.com Noramunro at aol.com
Fri Mar 9 18:27:46 PST 2001

In a message dated 3/9/2001 6:16:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, SNSpies at aol.com
writes:

> In a quote about Henry VIII, where he enters a pavilion "embroudered, and
>  poudered with H. & K. of fyne golde", what does "H. & K." mean?  Thanks
for
>  your help.

It's probably short for Henry and Katharine -- the initials of the king and
his current queen.  Knowing which Katharine (of Spain, Howard, or Parr) would
depend on knowing the date of the quote.

The use of combined initials is pretty common in 15th and 16th-century
contexts.  I recall a painting of Charles le Temeraire's wife Isabelle
wearing an atours (what the French seem actually to have called what we call
a hennin) which has a Y & C monongramme powdered over it.

Stephanie/Alianora