HNW - Tablet weaving

dibba@mindspring.com dibba at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 20 05:20:32 PST 2001

Greetings,

My thanks to everyone who kindly responded to my question.  I will go
to the weavershand web site today to see what I can learn.  I think
what confuses me most is all the flipping vertically, horizontally,
turning this way and that, and yet not having the end of the warp
become a twisted mess.  It's mind boggling to me the amount of
thought that must be involved to figure out how to do a pattern and
at the same time reverse all turns and twists to come out right.
There are no books with instructions and many patterns for
double-faced weaving?

The other question I have regards the tension.  On the one bit of a
band I did - about 15 inches worth, I fiddled around with the
tension. I found that with a loose tension, the stitches (correct
term?) do not have as pleasant an appearance as they did when I
pulled the weft VERY tightly - almost yanking the thread.  I don't
like the spiky look, or the points that appear when I used a loose
tension.  I don't know if I'm explaining myself very well here.
Anyway, historically, were these bands woven tightly?

Again, thanks so much for all your help, and particularly, all your
patience. I'm determined to get the hang of this.  I used to love
needlework, but now have trouble seeing the fine stitches.  I have
late-stage Lyme disease, and it has really taken a toll on my
eye-sight. Tablet weaving, if I can ever get the hang of it, might be
something I can do.  Apart from that, it will certainly use up the
vast piles of spun yarn that are covering most of the surfaces in my
home.

All the best,

Elisabeth