HNW - 15th/16th c. embroidery

Frank Thallas hardcorps at vcn.com
Wed Mar 21 00:54:54 PST 2001

   This is true, at least with "blackwork" type embroideries.  In a painting
of Luther and other Important People, the decoration on shirt collars, etc,
looks very much like cross-stitched patterns, and some of the continental
Holbein paintings have decoration that looks closer to monochrome
cross-stitch than what we strictly think of as blackwork.  And Italian
styles tend to be lighter and more airy, Spanish styles more geometric,
while the English seem to have gone totally overboard.  And this is just on
their underwear...
    I confess to being not nearly so studied on embroidery for outer
garments, since their manufacture is not my main body of interest, but there
again you are going to find that "fashion" varied widely from place to
place........

Liadain