HNW - Tablet weaving

Ronnie ronna at primenet.com
Wed Mar 21 11:27:01 PST 2001

>interested in learning how to do tablet weaving - but only the kind
>where pictures, letters, etc., are created - dark and light
>patterning?  I've spun a ton of silk, and would like to do something
>I think I need to see a pattern - with instructions - where pictures
>and or letters appear. If I can do it once with a pattern, I think
>I'll have it.

And Nic offered:
>There is a book called Eccleisiastic Pomp (or something like that - someone
borrowed my copy) that has lots of these kinds of patterns.  The author is
Nancy Spies.  I can forward your request to her and she can tell you where
to get a copy.
****

_Step By Step Tablet Weaving_, Marjorie and William Snow, 1973, is probably
out of print, but has some very good pictures and directions.
Ecclesiastical Pomp Aristocratic Circumstance, Nancy Spies, 2000, ISBN
0-615-11861-7.  Terrific reference for history, techniques, patterns, --
even brocades and twills!

I believe the "designs" you're wanting to create are pretty much advanced,
better to tackle when one figures out what turns produce what precise
additions to the patterns; the peculiarities of multiple-card,
multiple-direction weaves; the double chevrons and full-pattern additions;
and most sincerely, how to unweave and still find and follow your patterns
through unweaving and picking up the pattern from there.

That said, here's the best pointer I can offer: do A and B one color and C
and D a contrasting color throughout the set you want to use for the
lettering and/or patterning.  It takes some advance planning, but with some
unweaving, patience and practice, if you've a knack for tedium you'll get to
where you can create block designs similar to cross stitch.  This is the
foundation for the more flowing designs of the ancient masters.
Back to Lurking!
Ronnie.