HNW - 15th/16th c. embroidery (long)

Frank Thallas hardcorps at vcn.com
Thu Mar 22 13:12:14 PST 2001

  And don't forget that, according to Renn Faire-isms at least, all Irish
and Scots persons went around with big Book of Kells knotwork panels worked
on their clothing - despite the fact that not a single period illustration
shows anything of the kind...<G>
    By all evidence, some period clothing just wasn't embroidered.
There might be bands of contrasting fabric or some other decoration, but you
have to use what fits - a 16th-century scrolling floral just doesn't look
right around the neck of an 11th century Norman gown....

Liadain