HNW - Tristan quilt (long)

SNSpies@aol.com SNSpies at aol.com
Mon Mar 26 21:56:20 PST 2001

Thanks for your considered response to my query about the now-brown threads
having possibly been red originally.  Although I can understand your
arguments, I would like to say just a couple of things in response, not in
argument.  One, I have seen complete brocaded tablet-woven bands that are now
uniformly brown, so I am not sure that an argument that the threads in the
quilt don't appear faded to be inconclusive.  But a stronger point, to my
mind, is that brown is just not a color that you would think a medieval
quilter would have used on such exquisite pieces of work.  Further, the
singularly most popular color of silk thread, at least in brocaded
tablet-woven bands, was red.  Of course, an analysis of the dye would solve
the whole question!

Nancy
Mistress Ingvild